The beginnings of civil aviation at Cluj-Napoca dates back 83 years ago in 1932, when the Military Aerodrome Someşeni started to operated flights carrying passengers. After a period of prosperity in the interwar years, Cluj airport was destroyed at the end of the Second World War, in 1944. Subsequently rebuilt and developed in successive stages, Cluj airport is today an important driver for economic development of the region.
The Civilian Airport from Cluj is founded.
The route Bucharest -Cluj is open, line served by L.A.R.E.S (Romanian State Airlines) with Junkers 13 planes, having a capacity of 5 seats.
Cluj Airport was declared International Customs Airport by opening the first international line Prague-Bucharest-Cluj.
New routes opened: Moscow - Cluj - Prague, Cluj - Satu Mare, Chernivtsi - Cluj - Delhi - Cluj - Chernivtsi.
The contest "Little Entente" takes place at which Colonel Charles Lindbergh (the first pilot to cross the Atlantic by plane) also attended.
The new Airport, Cluj Airport - Someşeni, is put into use.
During the Second World War, the airport of Cluj is the most important military airport from Transylvania. The airport is destroyed after the bombings in September 1944.
The airport activity is resumed at the operation of the company T.A.R.S. (Soviet-Romanian Air Transport) of air flights from Cluj-Napoca to all major centers of the country. The activity took place in a building that substituted the terminal, the administrative and technical areas.
The first phase of the airport modernization begins.
Works begin on the new concrete runway of 1850 m x 45 m, on the concrete 101 m x 80 m platform, on the connecting ramp, on the installations and radionavigation equipments, as well as on the buildings and their necessary locations.
Cluj Airport becomes operational and equipped with all facilities necessary for safe operation.